Q&A Episode – May 2021
In this monthly q & a session, the guys answer listener questions.
Whether you’re traditionally published or indie, writing a good book is only the first step in becoming a successful author. The days of just turning a manuscript into your editor and walking away are gone. If you want to succeed in today’s publishing world, you need to understand every aspect of the business – editing, formatting, marketing, contracts. It all starts with a good book, then the real work begins.
Join international bestselling author J.D. Barker and indie powerhouses, J. Thorn and Zach Bohannon, as they gain unique insight and valuable advice from the most prolific and accomplished authors in the business.
Join us on Patreon and ask your question LIVE on the podcast!
- Can you take us through your process of choosing a title for your books and/or series?
- If you had the opportunity to start your writing career again, maybe go back in time, what would you differently?
- How do you decide what marketing opportunities to say yes to and what to decline? I’m at the beginning of my publishing career and feel like I should say “yes” to most offers, and then be more discerning as things progress. I’m asking because I agreed to do something, and it’s taking up a lot more of my time than I had anticipated and that I would like!
- J, it’s been almost six months, how is the short story project going?
- How do you approach authors who are farther ahead in their careers than you? Like if you see them at a conference or if you want to reach out to them for something? How do you prefer people approaching you?
- What qualities are you looking for in collaborators? (writing partners, editors, cover designers, etc…) What qualities are you looking for in clients? (when you are offering an author service)
- I know J is writing short stories, but what other projects are each of you working on at the moment that you’re willing to share?
- What kind of class would you pay for at this point in your career?
- Should I get some kind of liability protection, like from forming an S-Corp or LLC?
J. D. Barker – http://jdbarker.com/
J. Thorn – https://theauthorlife.com/
Zach Bohannon – https://zachbohannon.com/
Story Rubric – http://storyrubric.com
Nonfic Rubric – http://nonficrubric.com
The Career Author Summit 2021 – https://thecareerauthor.com/summit2021/
Proudly sponsored by Kobo Writing Life – https://kobowritinglife.com/
Music by Nicorus – https://cctrax.com/nicorus/dust-to-dust-ep
Contact – https://writersinkpodcast.com/contact/
*Full disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links.