A Pivot on Pursuing a Traditional Publishing Deal with J. Thorn
Although just beginning the process, the guys introduce a pivot on pursuing a traditional publishing deal. J.D. looked through THE LAST TOWER and realized that the manuscript could be improved, but not without significant work to get it to the point where agents and editors would pay attention. Faced with a difficult decision, J. decides to table the manuscript for now and head in a different direction.
Whether you’re traditionally published or indie, writing a good book is only the first step in becoming a successful author. The days of just turning a manuscript into your editor and walking away are gone. If you want to succeed in today’s publishing world, you need to understand every aspect of the business – editing, formatting, marketing, contracts. It all starts with a good book, then the real work begins.
Join international bestselling author J.D. Barker and indie powerhouse, J. Thorn, as they gain unique insight and valuable advice from the most prolific and accomplished authors in the business.
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Why THE LAST TOWER wasn’t J.’s best option at the moment
- How passive voice and showing (vs. telling) can be problematic
- Why you must start your story with a great hook that gets a reader’s attention
- The ways in which J.D. has “broken the rules” in chapter 1
- How Hugh Howey’s WOOL is the gold standard for grabbing a reader from the start
- Why J. doesn’t fret over words
- The problem with chasing trends when pursuing a traditional publishing deal
- What New York editors are chasing at the moment
- Why so many thrillers now have the word “girl” in the title
- The importance of vetting book ideas with someone you trust
- What the latest K-lytics’ report says about the horror genre
- How J.D. keeps his story ideas organized
- Why combining two story ideas might create something unique
- Why J.D. starts a story with a plane crash (hypothetical, of course)
K-lytics – http://k-lytics.com/
J. D. Barker – http://jdbarker.com/
J. Thorn – https://theauthorlife.com/
Music by Nicorus – https://cctrax.com/nicorus/dust-to-dust-ep
Voice Over by Rick Ganley – http://www.nhpr.com
Contact us – https://writersinkpodcast.com/contact/
*Full disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links.