Pursuing a Traditional Publishing Deal with J. Thorn
J. Thorn has published more than two million words of fiction and is an official member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, the Horror Writers Association, and the Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers. Thorn is a full-time writer, part-time professor at John Carroll University, co-owner of Molten Universe Media, podcaster, FM radio DJ, musician, and a certified Story Grid nerd.
In episode 2 of Writers, Ink, the tables are turned as J.D. interviews J. about his desire to secure a traditional publishing deal for his manuscript, THE LAST TOWER. J.D. drops knowledge bombs in this conversation which is sure to enlighten authors at any stage of their journey.
Whether you’re traditionally published or indie, writing a good book is only the first step in becoming a successful author. The days of just turning a manuscript into your editor and walking away are gone. If you want to succeed in today’s publishing world, you need to understand every aspect of the business – editing, formatting, marketing, contracts. It all starts with a good book, then the real work begins.
Join international bestselling author J.D. Barker and indie powerhouse, J. Thorn, as they gain unique insight and valuable advice from the most prolific and accomplished authors in the business.
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- The exciting, new, unplanned segment of Writers, Ink.
- How J. became the show’s guinea pig
- Why after 10 years as an indie, why J. wants to pursue a traditional deal
- What J. did when he stopped getting rejections from agents
- Why THE LAST TOWER is the manuscript J. wants to query
- J.D.’s position on indie vs. traditional
- How J.D. kept Barnes & Noble honest
- When J.D. reads paper and when he reads on his Kindle
- The leverage Hugh Howey used to get a traditional publishing deal
- What J. did to prepare for Pitchfest at Thrillerfest
- Things that turn agents off in the querying process
- What Stepen King taught J.D. about point of view
- Tools J.D. uses to improve his manuscripts
Manuscript formatting – https://www.scribophile.com/academy/how-to-format-a-novel-manuscript
J. D. Barker – http://jdbarker.com/
J. Thorn – https://theauthorlife.com/
Music by Nicorus – https://cctrax.com/nicorus/dust-to-dust-ep
Contact us – https://writersinkpodcast.com/contact/
Full disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links.