Q&A Episode – December 2021
In this monthly q & a session, the guys answer listener questions.
J.K. Rowling was nearly homeless when she wrote the first Harry Potter book. Stephen King penned CARRIE on a small desk wedged between a washer and dryer. James Patterson worked in advertising and famously wrote the Toys “R” Us theme song long before becoming an author.
Join New York Times best-seller, J.D. Barker, and indie powerhouses J. Thorn and Zach Bohannon as they pull back the curtain on some of the world’s most prolific authors. Where did they start? What is their process? The biggest names in publishing all have origin stories, all have a process, all have tips and secrets… What does it take to consistently top the bestseller lists? Get your notepad out. School’s in session. This, is Writers, Ink.
Join us on Patreon and ask a question guaranteed to be answered on the podcast!
- How does someone begin an email list when they don’t have any books written or any content on their website?
- Out of the 3 of you, who would be on Santa’s naughty list?
- Marvel movie fans or not marvel movie fans? If fans, to what level?
- What is the best way to rejuvenate your backlist?
- Travel back in time: What advice would you give your younger self about working on your very first book?
- Getting into NFTs for books early: is J crazy or brilliant?
- Given that FB is going into the metaverse, do you think that in the near future, your Avatar will walk along a metaverse road, see an advertising hoarding advert for a book, go into a metaverse bookshop and then buy the ebook version of the book you saw advertised? Discuss.
J. D. Barker – http://jdbarker.com/
J. Thorn – https://theauthorlife.com/
Zach Bohannon – https://zachbohannon.com/
Proudly sponsored by Kobo Writing Life – https://kobowritinglife.com/
Music by Nicorus – https://cctrax.com/nicorus/dust-to-dust-ep
Voice Over by Rick Ganley – http://www.nhpr.com and recorded at Mill Pond Studio – http://www.millpondstudio.com
Contact – https://writersinkpodcast.com/dev/contact/
*Full disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links.
1 year ago
Great show today.
JK wasn’t homeless but was living on state benefits and rented a small flat. She wrote in a coffee shop that would let her sit for hours on one coffee. She had a small baby, was recently divorced, and her mother had MS.
J D might be interested that the SPF podcast have a recent podcast on using TikTok for writers: https://selfpublishingformula.com/episode-294/ And if one has the SPF advertising course it includes a brand new unit of TikTok for authors. When you buy the course every new unit is added for free.
Like you J, not a fan of Marvel movies; they always end up with characters throwing a bus or a lorry at each other… yawn. I thought the first Wonder Woman was a breath of fresh air… until the end where they started throwing buses at each other – I felt I’d been conned.
I thought you were both unfair to Zach today. It’s Christmas. You don’t think he grows that long white beard because he thinks it’s cool do you? He’s working at his other job, in a department store near you. Poor guy. He brings pleasure to all the children of the world every Christmas and all you pair can do is talk about him behind his back. I hope he has it in his heart to forgive you and make sure you get pressies this year.
Happy Christmas and a productive New Year to all three of you.
1 year ago
You just blew Zach’s cover! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too.